Sunday, January 16, 2005

York: I Will Cancel My Acts!

In a shock move just days after their proposal, Vindrus York has stated he wishes to cancel not just the controversial National Unity Act but also the popular Talamthom Military Act. York said in a statement in the Dáil:

"There is much confusion over DT2005-006 (Unity of the Republic Act); therefore I will cancel the bill from parliament. Also, I will cancel DT2005-005 (Armed Forces Act) as well. As a member of the opposition, I must remember that I am not an equal partner here in parliament. I must remind myself that it is the ruling government that controls the agenda, not members of the opposition. The lopsided majority of the 'Left' makes it difficult to submit or even have legislation passed that I proposed. Everything I touch, I will be labeled as a right wing reactionary. I must remember this at all times. Frankly, I must continue to watch what I say or do."

York then goes on to cite precedent as the main cause for the withdrawal of the bills from parliament despite the fact that there was no objection to Military Act from any party within the Dáil or outside the Dáil. At this point in time it is unsure whether it is possible for a minister to just cancel an act as there are no provisions within the constitution to refer to. It is generally understood that the President will be intervening to prevent any cancellation of the Military Act. Following a turbulent few days of debate York has apparently gone to relax at his manor in Angelsey, Mainistir.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home